Art & Design (Fashion & Textiles) Advanced (Level 3)
The Fashion & Textile Design study programme at Bedford College allows you to develop creative, innovative and industry relevant design knowledge and skills. The course offers a unique, blended learning experience that equally promotes the teaching of both Fashion & Textile design practices to a high standard. The study programme covers a range of disciplines that include, Fashion Design and Illustration, Pattern Cutting & Production, Textile Design (Surface Pattern, Constructed Textiles and Printed Textiles) and Fashion Marketing & Promotion.
Within a purpose built Arts Centre our bright and modern design studios offer access to industry standard and subject specific equipment. Here you will be taught by experienced and enthusiastic Fashion & Textile tutors who have up to date industry involvement. Tutors will work hard to ensure you confidently develop the skills that allow you to produce an extensive portfolio of design work. There will be regular opportunities to visit galleries, museums and exhibition, as well as the chance to take part in national competitions and become involved in community projects. Students will work towards developing a collection of garments that will be part of a professional end of year catwalk show.
To begin this study programme you will need...
Duration: 2 Years
- 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C or 9-4 ideally including English and maths
- Art & Design BTEC Level 2 Diploma (Merit level or above) with Functional Skills
- Subject units:
- Visual Recording in Art and Design
- Materials, Techniques and Processes
- Ideas and Concepts
- Communication through Art and Design
- Contextual Investigation in Art and Design.
- Specialist subjects may include:
- Fashion Visualisation
- Fashion Presentation Techniques
- Pattern Construction for Fashion & Clothing
- Production Techniques for fashion & Clothing
- Fashion Marketing
- Fabric Manipulation
- Surface Pattern
- Printed Textiles
- Paper Making and Printmaking
- 3D Sculptural Textiles
- English and maths:
If you don't already have GCSE English and maths grade A*-C, we will work with you to help you develop your maths and English skills.
- Personal development skills, study skills and employability skills
- Additional vocational learning and qualifications:
- There will be cultural trips that relate specifically to fashion and textiles. In recent years, second year students have had the opportunity to visit a major cultural capital such as Berlin. You will get the chance to experience industry equipment such as, industrial and domestic sewing machines, overlockers, heat transfer press, silk screen printing methods, 3D laser cutters and more.
You will be assessed on a continual basis throughout the study programme. This is through the use of sketchbooks either digital or traditional. At the end of your second year, you get the chance to work on your own self-directed project. There will also be an examination for Functional Skills or GCSE, depending on your grades.
Art & Design Pearson BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
You can also gain up to 168 UCAS points.
- English and maths skills
- Work experience
- Personal development skills
- Study skills
- Employability skills
Further study and career options
On successful completion of this study programme you can progress on to a Higher National Diploma in Fashion & Textiles. Alternatively, you could consider applying for a university degree or seek employment or an apprenticeship in a field related to your specialism.
To take part in the study programme you will be required to pay an additional fee of £45 to cover the cost of trips/visits to galleries and/or exhibitions. You will also be encouraged to buy books related to your specialism and appropriate equipment such as pens, pencils, USB sticks/external hard drives.
All full-time Level 1 and Level 2 courses are now FREE for everyone, whatever their age. If you are looking to study a Level 3 qualification, courses are still free if you’re under 19 or 19-23 and studying your first full Level 3 qualification. If you’re over 23 or studying a second Level 3 qualification, you will need to pay a fee. Find out more on our financial support page at www.bedford.ac.uk/finance
If you are aged 19 or over you may qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan to help you pay the tuition fees for this course. Find out more at www.bedford.ac.uk/loans. You can also pay by instalments to help make the cost of this course more affordable.