Introduction to Fashion Production
The Fashion Production Evening Classes consists of two courses which cover the essentials of professional womenswear clothing production.
Course 1 focuses on pattern cutting which essentially is about manual flat pattern cutting to draft patterns from scratch. There is no sewing involved.
Course 2 focuses on the process of making a garment which includes learning a range of tecnical sewing skills.
Both courses are ideal for beginners who are able to commit and those who have some experience.
Full involvement by the student is expected including practice time at home.
The courses can equip students with confidence, technical skills, in-depth knowledge to kick start your journey to producing garments to a professional standard. Whether students wish to pursue personal sewing projects, or higher level courses in fashion production or fashion design, this course can help provide a stable foundation.
Throughout the courses students will work with woven (non-stretch) fabrics and learn about achieving a fit using tailoring skills.
It is not essential to attend both courses or attend them sequentially, however in doing so it will gain the full scope of skills enabling greater independence.
Course 1: Pattern Cutting – Womenswear Garment Pattern Making
L1482S1 & L1482S3 - Tuesdays, September and February start
The pattern cutting course will teach students how to flat pattern cut starting from basic level and develop onto advanced skills throughout the course. Womenswear primarily begins with understanding and manipulating suppression.
The following points are covered in the Pattern cutting course:
- Introduction to pattern cutting
- Pattern cutting tools, equipment and uses
- Understanding blocks and their application
- Understanding grain of fabric in relation to the body
- Understand basics of drafting a pattern
- Understanding curves of female body & how this translates into suppression
- In-depth learning and practice of darts and manipulation
- Creating a pattern from scratch for upper body: learning to draft fitted blouse/bodice designs and create pattern pieces
- Learn how to create good fitting on the body
- Skirts: waist dart manipulation, drafting skirts of different shapes and fittings
- Creating of fitted/tailored dresses
- Learning to eliminate waist seams through advanced dart manipulation
- Create advanced level drafts and pattern pieces ready for cutting into fabric (time permitting)
Course 2: Garment Manufacture – Basic to Advanced Fashion Sewing skills
L1482S2 & L1482S4 - Thurdays, September and February start
Students are introduced to technical fashion sewing and using clothing patterns to create a garment. This useful course includes measuring, cutting, sewing techniques, fitting and pressing.
The following points are covered in the Fashion Sewing Skills Course:
- Advanced understanding of sewing machine, overlocker and troubleshooting
- Learning of different seams ranging from basic to advanced
- Expanding technical fashion terminology and application
- Cutting the cloth – layout of pattern pieces, accurate cutting of cloth
- Sewing a garment to professional level
- Various styles of pockets
- Fly fronts
To take part in Course 1 (L1482S1/S3) the following equipment will be required:
- Sharp paper scissors
- Automatic/mechanical pencil HB
- A4 Lever Arch folder for notes, handouts, research & sample
To take part in Course 2 (L1482S2/S4) the following equipment will be required:
- Students are encouraged to bring their own sewing machine but not compulsory as machines are available at the college
- Sharp fabric scissors
- Pin cushion
Industry size 12 blocks will be used throughout the course so the teaching does not cover making custom made-to-measure blocks or making patterns specifically to individuals’ body measurements.
This course can provide the essential knowledge which can help students to create personalised blocks as a step up from this course.