Engineering BSc (Hons) (top-up from HND)
If you have graduated with an HND in Engineering, then this course will allow you to top-up to achieve a degree qualification in Engineering. The course enables you to complete your engineering studies at degree-level in a single year of study, building on your existing knowledge gained at HND level, without the need to take a full three or four year degree programme. On this course you will study the first semester at Bedford College, followed by the second semester at University of Northampton.
You must have a HND in either Electrical, Electronic or Mechanical Engineering.
The course covers a range of electrical, mechanical and general engineering topics, to provide a general foundation in engineering at degree-level.
- Advanced Electro-Mechanical System Design
- Machines and Mechanisms
- Computer Simulation and Modelling
- Lean Manufacturing & Quality Applications
- Engineering Project.
The course provides an introduction to studying at degree-level at the University of Northampton, with options to continue on further engineering courses at the University.
Assessment is by coursework, oral presentations, group work, practical reports, critical reviews and end of module exams.
Further study and career options
After this course you can enter a number of engineering sectors in the industry including roles within the manufacturing, pharmaceutical and automotive sectors as well as scientific writing and journalism as well as marketing and sales. Alternatively, you could choose to continue your study at the university towards a postgraduate degree leading to a Master's level qualification or continue to study an area of specific interest and gain a PhD qualification.
You will need to plan for studying the first semester at Bedford College, followed by the second semester at University of Northampton.
How to apply
You will need to apply via the University of Northampton’s portal, located at www.northampton.ac.uk/applyonline
- When you select the course and search for Engineering, you should choose CBSCENGINTU - 3FT BSc Engineering Top-up to select the FT (full-time) route
- It is recommended that you use Google Chrome, Safari or Mozilla Firefox as opposed to Internet Explorer
- In additional to capturing your personal information, the university requires you to upload a personal statement document and upload scans of your qualification certificates
- You will also need to indicate how you will be paying the tuition fees: HE loan, self-fee payer, sponsor/employer to pay fees etc. If your employer should be invoiced, you will also need to upload a letter of authorisation from your employer on headed paper confirming this.