Hair & Media Make-up Intermediate (Level 2)
This study programme covers a range of industry media make-up skills and is based at Brooks Hair & Beauty on the High Street, along with sessions at the College’s main site. During this new programme you will build skills to start your career path in media make-up. You will export several aspects of the industry, with the focus on fashion and photographic media make-up.
Entry requirementsTo begin this study programme you will need...
Duration: 1 Year
- 3 GCSEs at grades A*-D or 9-3 ideally including English and maths
- Equivalent Level 1 Diploma with Functional Skills
Duration: 2 Years
- 3 GCSEs at grades A*-G or 9-1 ideally including English and maths, and a keen interest in hair and media make-up. Other relevant levels of qualifications or experience will be considered.
The study programme will include a mix of practical and theory sessions, as well as tutorials, with an individual timetable set across four days per week.
- Subject units:
- Working in Beauty Related Industries
- Following Health & Safety Practice in the Salon
- Client Care and Communication in the Related Industries
- Applying Make-up
- Providing Eyelash and Brow Treatments
- Creating an Image Based on a Theme within the Sector
- The Art of Photographic Make-up
- Body Art Design
- Applying Skin Tanning Techniques
- The Art of Colouring Hair
- The Art of Dressing Hair
- Making and Styling a Hair Addition
- English and maths:
If you don't already have GCSE English and maths grade A*-C, we will work with you to help you develop your maths and English skills.
- Personal development skills, study skills and employability skills
- Additional vocational learning and qualifications:
- The programme will involve demonstrations of current media make-up techniques.
- There are also a range of workshops that you may wish to enrol on to advance your CV.
Following your practical training, you will complete formative and summative assessments. The theory training will involve assignments and tests. You will be required to study at home and complete eLearning activities.
Further study and career options
On completion of this programme you could progress onto the Level 3 Theatrical Media Make-Up course; this involves applying prosthetic pieces, fantasy hair design for performers, and creating and casting small prosthetic pieces and bald caps.
To take part in this study programme you will need to pay £30 for your uniform and £15 for trips throughout your course. You will also be required to pay £280 towards other materials to help complete your course.
All full-time Level 1 and Level 2 courses are now FREE for everyone, whatever their age. If you are looking to study a Level 3 qualification, courses are still free if you’re under 19 or 19-23 and studying your first full Level 3 qualification. If you’re over 23 or studying a second Level 3 qualification, you will need to pay a fee. Find out more on our financial support page at www.bedford.ac.uk/finance