Professional Cookery Advanced Apprenticeship Level 3
This apprenticeship will provide you with the skills that are required in a professional hospitality environment. It will also assist you in gaining employment in the exciting hospitality industry. You will learn how to build up on your basic food preparation, cooking and presentation skills to produce more complex dishes as well as have a greater understanding of the general running of a busy kitchen. This qualification is highly sought after in top quality restaurants, hotels, bars and eateries.
You will need grades A*-C or 9-5 in GCSE English and maths, or a Level 2 equivalent.
Course contentYou will cover a wide range of skills required in the hospitality industry including:
- Preparation and cookery of complex soups, sauces, meat, game, fresh pasta, seafood and fish
- How to set targets and review performance
- How to comply with all legal requirements of the hospitality industry
- You will also work towards a Level 2 Food Safety Certificate and Level 3 Technical Certificate
You will be assessed by a range of methods including practical assessments, written assignments and written knowledge test papers.
You will gain the following qualifications:
Hospitality & Catering Principles City & Guilds Level 3 Certificate
- Professional Cookery City & Guilds Level 3 Diploma
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Functional Skills in English and maths
- Personal, Learning and Thinking Skills
Further study and career options
Further study: On completion of the apprenticeship you could apply for a higher education course, such as the HNC/HND in Hospitality Management here at Bedford College, with the option to top up to a full Bachelor’s degree.
Future careers: You could progress to full employment as a catering/restaurant manager, chef, fast food service assistant or food processing operative.
You will need to wear a suitable clean and pressed chefs uniform, safety shoes and have a knife set. As part of your job role you will need to be supervising a small team of colleagues.