Professional Cookery Apprenticeship Level 2
As a professional cookery apprentice you will train in one of the following roles; kitchen assistant, cook or chef, offering a variety of cuisines in a range of kitchens and restaurants. It’s a great way to gain the skills and experience to eventually become a chef.
You will need a minimum of three GCSEs at grades A*-D or 9-3, including English and maths.
During this apprenticeship you will study a range of topics, which could include:
- Prepare and cook meat dishes
- Prepare and cook poultry dishes
- Prepare and cook fish dishes
- Prepare and cook vegetable dishes
- Prepare and cook pasta dishes
- Prepare and cook rice dishes
- Prepare and cook sauces
- Maintain health and safety and storage in the work place
- Maintain and handle knives
During the apprenticeship there will be 14 practical assessments during your work placement as well as at College. There will also be 14 written multiple-choice question papers, administered and marked at College.
You will gain the following qualifications:
Hospitality & Catering Principles City & Guilds Level 2 Certificate
- Professional Cookery City & Guilds Level 2 Diploma
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Personal, Learning and Thinking Skills
- Functional Skills in English and Maths
Further study and career options
Further study: On successful completion of this apprenticeship you could progress on to our Advanced Level 3 Hospitality & Catering Apprenticeship to train as sous/senior chefs, specialise in pastry and confectionery or as managers in hotels, restaurants and pubs.
Future careers: You will be well prepared to move on to further employment within the industry including as a commis/junior chef, fast food service assistant or food processing operative.
To take part in this programme you will be required to provide your own knives, as well as clean and pressed chef’s whites. Full details will be explained to you upon application.
You will be required to attend College one day per week during term time for the two-year duration of the course. There may also be a need to attend for additional days for some exams and revision.