Motor Vehicle Maintenance & Repair (Light Vehicle) Apprenticeship Level 2
This Motor Vehicle apprenticeship offers a combination of qualifications, that will equip you with the skills and knowledge you need to work as a mechanic in the light vehicle maintenance and repair industry. There is a constant demand for skilled technicians to repair and service vehicles and continuing advancement in vehicle technology means that technicians need to have high technological skills as well as good mechanical skills.
You will need a minimum of three GCSEs at grades A*-D or 9-4, including English and maths or a Level 1 equivalent.
During this apprenticeship you will study a range of topics, including:
- Health, safety and good housekeeping in the automotive environment
- Support for job roles in the automotive environment
- Materials, fabrication, tools and measuring devices used in the automotive environment
- Routine light vehicle maintenance
- Light vehicle engine lubrication and cooling system units and components
- Light vehicle fuel, ignition, air and exhaust systems units and components
- Removing and replacing light vehicle engine units.
You will be assessed via a number of methods, including practical tasks in the motor vehicle workshop and written and online exams for all units studied. Additionally, your competence will be assessed within your normal workplace.
You will gain the following qualifications:
IMI Light Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Competence Level 2 Diploma
- IMI Light Vehicle Maintenance & Repair Principles Level 2 Diploma
- Employment Rights and Responsibilities
- Functional Skills in English and Maths
Further study and career options
Further study: On successful completion of this apprenticeship you could progress on to one of our Advanced Level 3 Motor Vehicle apprenticeships. This will enable you to further increase your theoretical knowledge and practical understanding of light vehicle maintenance and repair.
Future careers: You could progress to full employment in a relevant job role such as a trainee technician.
Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) must be used at work and in College workshops.