Music (Technology) Advanced (Level 3)
This Music Technology Production study programme will introduce you to practical skills in sound recording, composing and music technology, including the creation and production of music through the use of computer and sound recording systems.
After my GCSEs I considered A-Levels but I knew I wanted to specialise in music, so this course at Bedford College was perfect for me. I’d had my first drum lesson when I was five years old and I also play the guitar, bass and piano. I’m a gigging musician and a session musician – so music is pretty much my whole life!
This course is great for people who are self-motivated, ready to work hard and have a passion to get into the music business. I’ve really enjoyed being able to work with professional software such as Logic Pro which is one of the main industry programmes for writing music and creating audio effects. I didn’t originally see myself as a producer but now I feel that I have the skills to be able to go into the studio and produce my own work. I’ve also learnt how to use all the technical equipment and gain a deeper understanding of how the music business works, including publishing rights.
I’ve found the music facilities and equipment at Bedford College absolutely amazing – they have everything we need including a top notch recording studio and some great technicians who are always ready to help us. I’m now looking forward to taking a year out and then my aim is to study BMus (Hons) at Trinity Laban Conservatoire of Music and Dance and specialise in Jazz.
Joel - Music Technology Level 3
To begin this study programme you will need...
Duration: 2 Years
- 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C or 9-4 ideally including English and maths
- Music Technology Level 2 Extended Certificate with Functional Skills/GCSEs
- Evidence of previous musical study or instrumental skills
- Subject units:
- Sequencing – using software packages such as Logic Pro to compose, edit and mix music and soundtracks
- The music business – researching and exploring areas of the industry, such as record labels, recording studios, live performance and the jobs associated with these
- Sound recording – learning how to set up and operate equipment in the College’s professional-standard recording studios for the capture and processing of sound
- Performance – working in groups to develop your skills, using traditional and electronic instruments for live performances
- English and maths:
If you don't already have GCSE English and maths grade A*-C, we will work with you to help you develop your maths and English skills.
- Personal development skills, study skills and employability skills
- Additional vocational learning and qualifications:
- You will have the chance to go on a trip. Previous trips include industry conventions/exhibitions such as Music Live, and educational trips to The British Music Experience.
Music Technology BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma
- English and maths skills
- Work experience
- Personal development skills
- Study skills
- Employability skills
You can also gain up to 168 UCAS points.
Further study and career options
On successful completion of this study programme (and achieving Functional Skills at Level 2) you could progress on to studying for a Foundation Degree or a BA (Hons) in a related subject. Alternatively you could progress into employment in the music industry.
There will be an additional fee of approximately £40 to cover the cost of trips. You will be required to provide your own headphones and memory stick/hard drive to participate on this course. Advice on suitable equipment will be provided at your interview.
All full-time Level 1 and Level 2 courses are now FREE for everyone, whatever their age. If you are looking to study a Level 3 qualification, courses are still free if you’re under 19 or 19-23 and studying your first full Level 3 qualification. If you’re over 23 or studying a second Level 3 qualification, you will need to pay a fee. Find out more on our financial support page at www.bedford.ac.uk/finance
If you are aged 19 or over you may qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan to help you pay the tuition fees for this course. Find out more at www.bedford.ac.uk/loans. You can also pay by instalments to help make the cost of this course more affordable.