Public Services Intermediate (Level 2)
This study programme will provide you with the opportunity to develop skills and experiences that will help you to develop skills and experiences that will help you to pursue a career in the uniformed public services, and is ideal if you wish to join the armed forces, emergency services, paramedical services or the Prison Service. The study programme will allow you to participate in a wide range of activities to aid your learning, such as outdoor pursuits, fitness training and teambuilding events. You will gain valuable insight from current and former public services employees, as teaching staff have served as members of Armed Forces or emergency services. You will also have the opportunity to meet working members of the public services.
Entry requirementsTo begin this study programme you will need...
Duration: 1 Year
- 3 GCSEs at grades A*-D or 9-3 ideally including English and maths
- Public Services BTEC Level 1 Diploma with Functional Skills
During the study programme you will learn about the types of careers available within the public services, including the application and selection process. You will also learn about fitness requirements for the public services and be introduced to the basic body systems that are associated with health and fitness. There will be opportunities to participate in a range of leadership and teamwork activities, as well as outdoor activities like climbing, bush-craft and camp-craft.
- Subject units:
- Public service skills
- Uniformed public service employment
- Uniformed public service careers
- Outdoor adventure activities and teamwork
- Expedition skills
- Health and Fitness
- English and maths:
If you don't already have GCSE English and maths grade A*-C, we will work with you to help you develop your maths and English skills.
- Personal development skills, study skills and employability skills
- Additional vocational learning and qualifications:
- Trips and exhibitions will form a key part of the outdoor activities programme and you will have the opportunity to attend various trips and expeditions, including army days, multi-day expeditions, teambuilding events and visits to local public services. You will also have the chance to join other departments on trips to Egypt and France.
- You will study to achieve additional qualifications/awards in a range of different activities including:
You will be assessed via a variety of methods, including discussions, presentations, practical demonstrations, workbooks and written tasks.
Uniformed Public Services BTEC Level 2 Diploma
- English and maths skills
- Work experience
- Personal development skills
- Study skills
- Employability skills
Further study and career options
On successful completion of this study programme you could progress on to the Uniformed Public Services BTEC Level 3 Extended Diploma, or apply for relevant job roles in the public services.
You will be required to pay an annual fee to cover the costs of all trips (please enquire for latest cost information). If you are aged 16-18, tuition fees, exam fees and College membership are free. However, there are additional costs associated with some courses. To take part in this course you will be required to pay a fee of approximately £45 for required clothing. Any trips/visits will be paid for nearer the time.
All full-time Level 1 and Level 2 courses are now FREE for everyone, whatever their age. If you are looking to study a Level 3 qualification, courses are still free if you’re under 19 or 19-23 and studying your first full Level 3 qualification. If you’re over 23 or studying a second Level 3 qualification, you will need to pay a fee. Find out more on our financial support page at www.bedford.ac.uk/finance