Sport: Development, Coaching & Fitness Advanced (Level 3) (Cancelled)
This study programme is ideal if you want to build upon your knowledge to develop a career in the exciting sports industry. You will study a wide range of subjects associated with sports, development, coaching and fitness, including the principles of anatomy and physiology, sport physiology, sports injuries and sports nutrition. You will also have access to the Colleges successful sport academies and the opportunity to study a range of additional qualifications. Completion of this study programme will open up opportunities to progress on to a Sport Foundation Degree.
I’ve always been passionate about sport and I knew it was the best career path for me, so this course was perfect. I live in Flitwick so I had a few local colleges to choose from but I had heard very good reviews about Bedford College and their sport facilities, plus at my interview I felt that the staff were very understanding and would offer me good support.
I love the practical side of the course but I’m also still very interested in the theory and how the body works - the two sides of the course fit together well.
The tutors are great and offer lots of support if you need it. They all have different teaching methods but they make sure the lesson suits everybody and, if somebody doesn’t understand something, they’re prepared to spend extra time running through it again.
We’ve also been given some work experience opportunities such as fully paid coaching jobs with Little Kickers, a Saturday morning football club for children under five. I’ve gained so much knowledge and confidence since I started the course and I’m looking forward to coming back to Bedford College in September to study the Sport & Coaching Foundation Degree.
Connie - Sport Level 3
Entry requirementsTo begin this study programme you will need...
Duration: 1 Year
- 4 GCSEs at grades A*-C or 9-4 ideally including English and maths
- Sport BTEC Level 2 Diploma with Functional Skills
This study programme will focus on various aspects of sport, such as fitness training and sports psychology, while also giving you advanced knowledge about the anatomy and physiology of the human body.
- Subject units:
- First year
- Principles of anatomy and physiology in sport
- Physiology of fitness
- Assessing risk in sport
- Fitness training and programming
- Fitness testing
- Practical team sport
- Sports nutrition
- Exercise, health and lifestyle
- Instructing physical activity and exercise
- Sports injuries
- Second year
- Sports coaching
- Sports development
- Practical individual sport
- Current issues in sport
- Leadership in sport
- Exercise for specific groups
- Psychology for sports performance
- Analysis of sport performance
- Rules, regulations and officiating in sport
- English and maths:
If you don't already have GCSE English and maths grade A*-C, we will work with you to help you develop your maths and English skills.
- Personal development skills, study skills and employability skills
- Additional vocational learning and qualifications:
- In addition to the main qualification you will be given the opportunity to go on a range of trips, including scuba-diving, skiing, snowboarding, paintballing, camping, a football tour, a basketball tour or a rugby tour. At the end of June you will be invited to attend the Sports Department Oscars awards evening, giving you the chance celebrate a successful year.
- You will also study to achieve the following additional qualifications:
- Emergency First Aid Level 2
- Football Coaching Level 1
- Rugby Coaching Level 1
- Basketball Coaching Level 1
All BTEC work will be assessed through assignments, which can consist of written essays, presentations, group discussion, practical observation and poster production. Function Skills will be assessed through formal exams.
Sport BTEC Level 3 Diploma
- English and maths skills
- Work experience
- Personal development skills
- Study skills
- Employability skills
You can also gain up to 168 UCAS points.
Further study and career options
On successful completion of this study programme you can progress on to a Sport Science Foundation Degree here at the College. Our Sport Science (Sport Coaching) and Sport Science (Personal Training) Foundation Degrees are validated by and lead to an award of, the University of Bedfordshire. Once completed you can then progress straight on to a third year of study with the university to achieve a BSc Sport Science degree. Alternatively, you could progress on to a variety of courses with other universities, or move straight into employment within the sports industry.
To take part in this course there will be an additional fee of approximately £30 for required clothing. You will need to spend £50 to attend trips that will complement your course.
All full-time Level 1 and Level 2 courses are now FREE for everyone, whatever their age. If you are looking to study a Level 3 qualification, courses are still free if you’re under 19 or 19-23 and studying your first full Level 3 qualification. If you’re over 23 or studying a second Level 3 qualification, you will need to pay a fee. Find out more on our financial support page at www.bedford.ac.uk/finance
If you are aged 19 or over you may qualify for an Advanced Learner Loan to help you pay the tuition fees for this course. Find out more at www.bedford.ac.uk/loans. You can also pay by instalments to help make the cost of this course more affordable.